This popular workshop is designed to get you started into the creative world of fly tying.
In this 4 week introductory course, students will learn proper techniques, tool management and learn the skills needed to build a strong foundation for creative tying.
We will teach you modern and commercial methods to help you manage vise time and select proper materials for creating flys. Also ideal for tiers who have not had formal training but want to learn proper technique and tricks of the trade. Learn to master “V -out techniques” , soft loop and pinch loops to create that bug.
Understanding the tools of the trade: half hitching and whip finish techniques. Learning your way around a hook.
- Tying the Woolly Bugger- understanding the flow and steps of this fly creates your foundation.
- Carey Special/ Soft Hackle fly – learning collaring and ribbing techniques.
Week 2 :
The focus is on creating proper wing cases and shellbacks. Learn the truths and myths about dubbing.
- Reverse wrapping and dubbing twister techniques.
- Scuds, PT Nymph and Hares Ear.
Week 3 :
- Steamer Work: Learn to create streamer flies for rivers and lakes
- Proper Tinsel practice and the art of spinning is covered.
Week 4 :
The Art of the Dry Fly
Learn proper proportioning for these finicky flies. Learn the figure 8 and posting techniques.
Tom Thumb, Catskill dry flies ( Cahill Dark/Light)
Workshop sponsored by Partridge of Redditch & Lagartun Premium Tying Materials and Flymen Fishing Company.
Hooks & Materials supplied for the duration of course.
Please call shop for more details 604-467-7118