Dec Hogan is Coming to the Hatch Match’r
Hatch Match’r Fly and Tackle, in co-operation with Lagartun Premium Tying Materials, are proud to host the legendary Dec Hogan, from February 22 – 25th, 2019, where he will share his skills and expertise in fly tying and spey casting.
Dec Hogan is recognized as one of the world’s most foremost experts in spey casting, fly tying and is ofter referred to as “a guide’s guide” and “a steelheader’s steelheader.” With over 40 years of experience as a fly angler and over twenty years of experience in guiding some of the premiere rivers in the Pacific Northwest, he has mastered the skills of reading waters, casting flies, and landing Steelhead. Dec Hogan has an unrivalled passion, love, knowledge and reverence for the sport of fly fishing, and the art of fly tying.
When he is not working as a full time Fire Fighter/EMT in Layton, Utah, he can be found instructing and entertaining the fly fishing masses and designing rods for Echo, and fly lines for Airflo.
Dec has written, and continues to write for, many of North America’s fly fishing publications, is an accomplished photographer and is one of the world’s foremost sought after spey casting instructors. Dec has starred in both spey casting and fly tying instructional DVD’s as well as authoring the highly acclaimed must-have book, A Passion for Steelhead, and now his new book co-authored with Marty Howard Steelhead Fly Tying Art and Design.
Meet and Greet/Book Signing – Friday, February 22, 2019: Admission is Free
- Meet and greet/book signing at the Hatch Match’r. Dec will be on hand to sign copies of his new book “Steelhead Fly Tying Art and Design”. Copies of the book are available at the shop, if you don’t already have one.
Tying demonstration and steelheading lecture – Saturday, February 23, 2019 (morning): $50 per person
- A fly tying demonstration and lecture on materials, tips and tricks to tying the perfect steelhead fly. Dec will be demonstrating a couple of his famous steelhead flies and will share insight into tying materials. Dec will enlighten and answer questions on all things spey and steelhead. Whether just learning or well seasoned, this is a perfect opportunity to spend the morning with the legend.
- Space is limited to 20 people.
Tye-Along with Dec Hogan – Saturday, February 23, 2019 (afternoon): $225 per person
- Tye-Along with Dec Hogan. A hands on trying class with Dec, where you will have a chance to tie some fabulous Steelhead flies along with Dec. During this 4 hours class, Dec will methodically walk you through step by step, as you learn learn techniques that can be applied to an infinite number of Steelhead flies.
- This class will cover the art and design of creating beautiful Steelhead flies. Dec will patiently and methodically take you step by step through the construction of each pattern.
- Materials included, please bring your own fly tying vise, tools and 6/0 (or 140D) thread, and a notepad!
- Space is limited to 8 people.
Spey Casting Course – Sunday, February 24, 2019 (all day): $275 per person
- Full day spey casting course on the river with Dec Hogan. This class covers many conceptual aspects and philosophies that apply to all styles and methods of two-handed casting. It is designed to put the caster at ease with a clear and simple understanding of how to cast in any situation and be creative with our casts without “fearing” the cast. I cover, in depth, 6 of the most popular casts and how to “create” new casts when necessary. Also included is a hour-long fishing demo that shows how Dec covers the water in search of steelhead. From the start of the run to the end, casting angles, reading water, dry line fishing, sink-tip application, presentation, how to securely hook the fish (or not!) how steelhead react to the fly, how to step through a run, etc.
- Space is limited to 8 people.
Make sure to call or visit the shop to reserve your spot. Payment in full is required to hold your spot. If you are not able to stop by, we are set up for e-transfers. Call the shop for details 604-467-7118.